Whole Wheat Ginger Spice Cookies
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups raw sugar, plus some for decorating
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup molasses
- 4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 Tbs baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 Tbs ground ginger
- 1 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and 1 1/2 cups of sugar until smooth. Beat in the eggs, and then the molasses.
- In another bowl, combine the whole wheat pastry flour, baking soda, baking powder, ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, and allspice, heaping the measures if you like a lot of spice.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the wet mixture just until blended.
- Roll the dough into small balls, and roll each ball into the remaining sugar to coat. Place the cookies about 2 inches apart on non-stick baking sheets. Flatten the cookies slightly with the bottom of a drinking glass.
- Bake for 8-12 minutes in the preheated oven, until the tops are cracked. Bake longer for crispy cookies, less time for chewy cookies. Cool on wire racks.